Since we last posted some photos of the area we´ve been living in, the landscape has changed dramatically. You wouldn´t recognize it as the same place. The rainy season got off to a slow start, but immediately after the first rain, the ground sprung to life with beans, squash, and stalks of corn that are now thigh-high. (The three types of seeds are dropped together in the ground and grown in bunches.) Every square meter of land has been planted, including some that is near verticle. Each member of the family participates in the planting and then in the "monda," which is a process of hoing the ground around the plants to remove weeds and make piles of dirt that support the stalks of the corn. Scott and I haven´t been able to help out much because we spend a lot of time in training sessions, but we got a small taste of the process. A couple of times I´ve been teased by someone on a bus because I didn´t have blisters on my hands- they can tell I haven´t been working hard.
This week is our final week with our host family. While it will be really great to have some space to ourselves, I´ll definitely miss the people in our town. Everyone has been patient with us as we stumbled through language, and they are genuinely kind. I´d like to select some that would come with us to Santo Antao.
I celebrated my birthday with Scott and our host family who made a cake for me. Scott provided some nutella-like chocolate spread that helped to complete the dish. My mom didn´t have any birthday candles on hand, though, so she stuck 29 matchs in a clump on the cake and we ignited it. Then they yelled at me to quickly blow it out before the house burned down.
It has been a little more difficult to get to the internet lately because of a busy schedule and frequent power outtages, but I´ve enjoyed your comments and birthday wishes. Thank you all!
5 comments:
Soooo glad your host family and village has been so kind. Tell your mom that your USA Mom REALLY appreciates it! The birthday "candle" was great - certainly memorable. Now I'm anxious to hear about your new location and the people there! Still praying for a good place and kind people in Santo Antao.
Love you lots, Mom
The picture in my mind of the cake and the family yelling is HILARIOUS! I bet you'll remember that forever. Good to hear your voice last week! Love you! B,L & K
i think i had the same image as BLK. i nearly lol'd. from what i can tell, a lot of hurricanes are originating from near cape verde...is that right? it looks like they aren't normally violent or even considered hurricanes when they are in your area though. is that what causes the rainy season?
hey girl! so glad to hear from you and about your adventures. hope you had a happy bday! been thinking about ya. hope to hear something again soon, and get some blisters, will ya! teehee.
Hey guy! Happy birthday Melissa. I am glad that thing are working out well for you, I have been following the blog and wishing you well. Luke and I have not burned down the apartment yet so that is going well. Take care, Matt
Post a Comment