Today was a very exciting day for the 24 trainees in our group here- it was site announcement day. Scott and I are very very excited to have learned that we will be heading to the island of Santo Antao. Our exact location has not yet been determined because people are currently working to secure housing for us. Scott will be involved in the creation of a new protected area akin to a National Park in the US. I will be working with the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Marine Resources. My job hasn´t been pinned down yet partially due to the housing logistics, but there are opportunities related to community food resources, ecotourism, and community development as it relates to the formation of the park. All of those things sound great to me, so I´m enthusiastic about the possibilities.
I think I can speak for Scott when I say that so far our assignments and location sounds as close to ideal as we could have imagined. It´s a happy day.
We also met a couple of current volunteers also stationed in Santo Antao who were able to tell us about their projects. One is going to make efforts to ensure that we help with sea turtle watching with him.
Here is a video that shows the beautiful scenery of our future home- note the caption: "Feedback from tourists - Santo Antao is the most beautiful island of Cape Verde and the most attractive for trekking admirers"
http://tours-tv.com/en/santo-antao
4 comments:
YIPEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
I'm so excited!! I've been praying hard for a good location. Thank you God!! I've watched the video - looks beautiful! Your jobs sound ideal. I'm so happy for both of you! Love you lots, Mom
HALLELUJAH! So happy for you guys! Katie's prayers have paid off! :)
love, Laura
Congratulations Melissa and Scott. You have made my day happy also.
Love you,
Dad
Great news - congrats! Can't wait to see the sea turtles... please try to touch one. :)
Post a Comment