





Our nine week training has ended, and on Saturday we were officially sworn in as Peace Corps Volunteers. There was a nice ceremony that some Cape Verdean officials along with our host families and training staff attended. The press was also at the event, and I gave a television interview. It was very exciting later to see my face on the evening news- especially since most families are very enthusiastic about watching "tele-journal." My host mom yells at everyone in the house to be quiet when it´s coming on, and then family and neighbors react to the news with shouts of enthusiasm or disgust.
After the ceremony, we left our homestay family’s place, and we are now being housed at a hotel until we begin our journey to our new community. First we’ll take a plane to Sao Vicent and then a boat to Santo Antao. Once on that island, we’ll be taking vans or taxis or donkeys to get ourselves and all of our bags to our house. We still have no idea of our housing situation but have repeatedly heard our town referred to as “up there.” We’re excited to arrive on Friday.
Our host mom wanted our last day at her place to be special, so she planned an activity that we’ve been talking about for weeks… killing a chicken. Scott was the assassin and the murder weapon was a butter knife. Both of us felt a little sad about killing the bird, but our 4-year old brother comforted us by saying that it was an annoying rooster that he didn’t like anyway. We cooked it up in a stew with potatoes, manioc, and little dumpling-like dough balls.
Later that evening another host mom in our community held a going away party with dinner and traditional singing/dancing. Let me just say that this style of dance is no hokey-pokey. Batuk is unique to Cape Verde and is said to be a dance that the women did to cheer up men as the families were being sold in to slavery here. Women sing and pound drums in their laps while a couple of dancers skillfully shake their butts. The evening was the public debut of my batuk skills. Luckily, I’ve had the chance to practice many times over the last couple of months. My instructors have mostly been little girls under age 10 who are experts. I like to think that I put on a pretty good show, but I’m certain there was room for improvement. I have two years to hone my skills.
12 comments:
I just have to say, this is just awesome! I cannot imagine leaving everything and everyone I know, and going and doing this! You two are just awesome people with REALLY BIG HEARTS! I like the mustache, Scott, and with the hat, you look like a little old time Scottish dude (no pun intended there)! Have fun and safe journeys! God Bless!
Karen Tritschler
I'm so excited that you're a TV celebrity now! Never saw that coming. But I'll probably have nightmares about the chicken/butter knife murder. At least Scott still isn't an "ax murderer!" Sounds like they sent you off in grand style. Thanks for the pictures. Scott, I think you look like Sherlock Holmes! Quite intriguing. I can see the crops are really growing now.
Love you always, mom
Great photos!!! Glad to hear you guys are having a good time. Have a safe and fun (donkeys = fun) trip to your town.
Tim M.
Butter knife? Wow.
Congrats on being sworn in... can't wait to hear about your new home!
Mustache! glad you guys are doing well, I like these stories... especially ones involving a butter knife. Take care!
Eric
Wow!What an amazing adventure you are on!!Thanks for the pix-it's good to see your sweet faces! Eli loves the mustache & I'm sure Mariana will want to learn the batuk!Looking forward to hearing of the adventure to your new home!Vaya con Dios!!
Karen Andrews
We were told earlier of your new looks and we couldn't wait to see your pictures! We are very proud of you folks and we thank God for your service to mankind. We salute your courage. No doubt Scott will still slaughter many chickens for food and Melissa will soon perfect the batuk dance and probably start to teach it to others! Lots of fun! The good Lord will prosper your stay over there and by His grace many will be blessed through your service. We love you.
Wole & Bose
congrats on becoming official. great to see scott dressed up for the event..hehe...i LOVE that pic of him. and way to shake your booty, girl! can't wait for you to come back and teach us batuk. corrina will especially enjoy the booty shaking. (and me too. hehehe) love y'all!
Congratulations! Sounds like a good way to end this phase. Love the pictures! Not the chicken story. :( Can't wait to hear about the new, more permanent home!
Love, Laura
Poor roster :( Reminds of when I helped Grandma when it was time for chicken. We generally hung two frying sized rosters over the clothesline. My job was to tightly hold them by the neck until Grandma removed their heads. This was to keep from being splatted by blood. Since Gramdma was the first to leave the crime scene, she stayed cleaner than I did. Then they were dunked into scalding hot water to loosen the feathers. Now that was smell that I'll never forget. They sure were good.
Love you, dad
we finally got internet so we can keep up with you better!! So when you go "up there" will you still be able to blog. I think you guys are so awesome. We went to horshoe last weekend and it made me miss everyone so much. I even missed belaying Scott....
ya'll are too cool... with the exception of the mustache, of course :) sounds like you're giving shakira a run for her money! and thanks for posting pictures!!!
Post a Comment