Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Bolu = Cake

This week Scott and I have been focused on food and meal preparation in our language classes, so I thought I´d provide an example of the food that I eat on a typical day with my host family here.

Breakfast (Kafé):
Coffee (made with home-roasted beans because it´s cheaper, and powdered milk)
White bread roll
Egg sunny-side up... more or less deep fried in oil

Snack (Lunchy):
banana
a slice of pound cake from a person that I started speaking with on the street- it´s common to insist that visitors eat food with you

Lunch (Almusu):
white rice
beans
a whole small fish, pan-fried

Snack (Lunchy):
crackers
cake (from another person. I eat an absurd amount of cake, but it´s tasty)
1/2 an avocado (from a different person)

Afternoon special treat from host mom:
home-made sausage, fried (pork foot meat stuffed into pork intestines and smoked over a wood fire outside. During the smoking process a neighbor´s dog ran off with 2 whole strands and my mom ran after it throwing rocks and yelling. I saw her from the neighbor´s roof.)

Dinner (Janta):
white rice
beans (a different variety than lunch)
tuna
broth soup with beef and noodles


So... that´s a glimpse into my culinary experience in Cape Verde thus far.

In other news, this week my job was changed from High School English Teacher to Community Development Worker. Next week we´ll learn which island we´ll be living on and what our jobs are more specifically. Our whole group is anxious to hear the news.

And now I´ll head out to visit the monkey that is tied up outside of the internet cafe. His name is Pete, and I´ve befriended him by bribing him with fruit. It´s not common to have monkeys here, but I´m enjoying his presence.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Oh, dear, quite a bit of eating!! I'm so excited about your job change. And a MONKEY! Now you're talking! You're going to LOVE the Peace Corps!! :)) I've found a new address for mail on the Peace Corps.gov website. Trying it out.
Love you very much, Mom

Sasha said...

Wow! That sounds exciting! It is so interesting to see what people in other countries eat! I hope you and Scott are doing well!!

Sasha

Anonymous said...

It warms my heart to know that you've befriended a monkey! Maybe he'll keep you coming to the internet cafe giving us updates! :) We love them! Love you both too!

Laura