Saturday, November 13, 2010

When a Stranger Calls

One of the most exciting moments of our week occurred when two French hikers showed up at our door unexpectedly after dark. They were looking for a place to sleep for the night, and one of our neighbors, noticing their skin color, assumed that they belonged with us. They, on the other hand, had hiked for miles thinking that they were being directed to a hotel. We weren’t exactly prepared for guests, but the evening worked out in everyone’s favor. A next door neighbor offered her daughter’s bed to them in exchange for a small fee, and we offered them dinner. There were slim pickings around the house, so I cooked skillet potatoes with mustard greens and canned beef. During the meal I was horrified to learn that the man, Eric, is actually a French chef. He graciously complimented the meal on its simplicity and blend of flavors. Eek.

The best thing about the encounter (besides stimulating conversation- their English was superb), was that it gave our community the idea that they can profit from tourists without being rich hotel or restaurant owners. One of our jobs as volunteers is to support people in income generating activities. Plenty of tourists pass by our town every day, but nearly all are admiring the view through the windows of a car or hiking right past to a different location. Because the French tourists were stranded and needed to stay the night, our neighbors were forced to interact with them. In so doing, they realized that by providing lodging or perhaps by selling some of their many homemade goods (cheeses, jellies, coffee, honey, meals, etc.) they might have a new means of income. Scott and I are hopeful that this incident may plant a seed for something great in our town.

Other noteworthy events of the week- I accidentally witnessed the birth of a goat, Scott hiked a substantial portion of the island with a cow in tow, we lost a chicken (she was so fast- we still have 3), and Scott began construction of a fence to keep the neighbor chickens from continuing their path of destruction through our garden. The mustard greens are mostly mustard nubs.

4 comments:

8bins said...

I would have thought all those years of chasing squirrels would have come in handy when trying to catch your chicken.
I'm sure you put the fear into the other ones. "I love pie...."

Mom said...

An eventful week, I'd say. Too bad the chef didn't offer to cook YOU supper! Yours sounds good though. Love you much, mom

Matthew Acre said...

This is awesome!! That is a really cool experience. Do me a favor, and find my chicken please :) Miss you two.

Unknown said...

Look at you two building capacity... nice work ;) If I had hikers I could offer them some crackers or maybe coffee- so what you did sounds great! Come cook for me!