Thursday, November 4, 2010

Twick-a-Twick

I have to admit that before joining the Peace Corps, I had a vague sense of what the organization was actually about. I imagine that many of you who read this blog are in the same boat that I was. In relation to the events of our last week, I thought I’d take a minute to present what JFK had in mind when he signed the Peace Corps Act in 1961.

“It is the policy of the United States and the purpose of this Act to promote world peace and friendship through Peace Corps, which shall make available to interested countries and areas men and women of the United States qualified for service abroad and willing to serve, under conditions of hardship if necessary, to [1] help the people of such countries and areas in meeting their needs for trained manpower, particularly in meeting basic needs of those living in the poorest areas of such countries, and [2] promote a better understanding of the American people on the part of the people served and [3] a better understanding of other peoples on the part of the American people.”

Scott and I thought that October 31st was a good opportunity to work on Peace Corps’ second goal by presenting the tradition of Halloween to the children of our town. People in Cape Verde are familiar with what they’ve translated “Dia de Bruja,” or “Witch’s Day.” However, it is only celebrated by adults in the bigger cities who dress in all black to go to parties where, according to rumor, they take turns laying in a coffin. Naturally, most Cape Verdeans find that a bit odd.

In our town we decided to do a little reverse Trick-or-Treating. We dressed up and went from house to house offering suckers to children that would say the magic words. Despite the week’s worth of practice that the kiddos poured in to perfecting their petitions for candy, the result was usually “Twick-a-Twick.” Good enough.

I constructed a costume as a cat (yes, cliché, but easily assembled), and Scott wore a red and yellow devil hood that I brought from American on a whim. You never know when you’ll need a devil hood. Amusingly, all the children thought he was a goat. It was some of the most fun that I’ve had on Halloween in a long time and a great way for us to meet some of our more timid neighbors- forcing our way into their homes while looking ridiculous. Kennedy would be proud. We really tore down some barriers : )

5 comments:

mom said...

I KNOW Darla is going to love this one!! Surprised you weren't an Indian, but perhaps feathers are a bit more difficult to come by. That devil hood has come in handy through the years! Yes, you broke down some barriers, and gave some little kiddos nightmares, no doubt! I love it :D
Always, mom

Anonymous said...

This is great! I can picture you now! I bet this is exactly what Kennedy had in mind! "One small step for man..." Now I want pictures!
Love, Laura

Erin said...

I'm with Laura, I'd love to see pictures of your costumes!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! Way to make sure the neighbors know you are there! Lovin the stories - keep them coming! Hope Scott has his bot flies under control. . ..Amy Timm

8bins said...

From sophomore year english class, to cape verde.
Oh the tales that devil hood could tell.

Keep it safe -- there are more adventures in it's future!

Miss ya
D