Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas Gruel

Set aside any former notions that you have when you read the word “gruel.” (Were you thinking middle ages? Hansel and Grettle? Prison?) It turns out that gruel is actually quite tasty and is the Christmas Eve dish of choice in rural Santo Antão.

Scott and I kicked off our holiday celebrations here in Cape Verde by making ‘papa,’ translated ‘gruel,’ with our neighbors. The dish is made from a vegetable of choice- in this case squash, but also commonly made with potatoes or sweet potatoes, along with salt, corn grits, and corn flour. It boils for a long time in order to thicken up and then is slapped onto plates and drowned in fresh cow’s milk. You eat it with a spoon, and It is yummy.

Christmas day in our town was not very different from normal days with the exception of added meat. The holiday here is all about spending time with family, but since most families already live together or very near each other, there were few overdue reunions. The only oddity, then, was the butchering going on all around town.

People raise their goats, pigs, and chickens with the holidays in mind. Since Christmas was our lunch goat’s destiny, I didn’t really feel sad for him. I was nice to him while he was still living, but I didn’t mourn his passing. He was tender and flavorful.

Scott conducted the execution of young Lunch early in the morning, and by 8:00, I was frying up his entrails. We even cooked his sex organs which Scott described as surprisingly tasty. I lucked out; they were reserved for the men only to eat. I did get a laugh, however, of the sight of testicles and a little goat penis being stirred around in the pan. I wished I’d taken a photo.

We dined on coffee, cake, and fried tripe for breakfast. Later in the day we had fresh beans with chicken and goat stew for lunch. As we were leaving in the evening, Scott and I presented our hosts with packages of lotion, a knife, and crayons and notebooks for the kids. They must have liked the gifts because the next day, my friend cheerfully said, “I’m going to get you a present now. And if you don’t like it I’m going to punch you in the face.”

So, all in all, it was a successful Christmas. A little lonely, to be sure, but successful nonetheless.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I never met Lunch and that you enjoyed some extra protein. We missed you here and thought of you lots. Glad you've got some friendly neighbors over there, though, to keep you company. :)

love, Laura

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Doris.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. We are all getting together tonight at Jonathan and Sasha's time share in the Ozarks. You will be greatly missed!!! Happy New Year. What are you all doing for New Year's?

Anonymous said...

The last comment was from Catrina Dye. I forgot to sign it.. May God Bless you today.

Katie Casey said...

What a unique Christmas! Can't wait to read about what adventures you have in 2011! Miss you guys!

Mom said...

Oh, yes, I would surely starve to death there! So glad your immunizations are all up to date. What a memorable holiday - but I still wish you were here! Hope you didn't get "punched in the face"! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Never heard about someone's Christmas with the words: sex organs. Sounds like you guys had a great time with great new adventures. The other day Corrina and I were looking at pictures and we found the one where the 4 of us played ping-pong (at the Krelle lakehouse) with everything but paddles. Immediately Corrina says, "Scott and Melissa. I like Melissa, but not Scott." (Don't take it personal; she says the same about me when I make her wear a winter coat) It brought back all sorts of fun memories with you guys. Happy New Year! May God continue to bless you as you serve in His name!

btw: Don't know if Amber's told you yet, but we've got another little adventure coming soon...sometime around July 5!